THE TAMPA BAY REGION NEEDS TO START PLANNING! CLIMATE CHANGE ADAPTATION will be key to our survival. It's not IF, but WHEN; and PLAN now or PAY EVEN MORE later! Both public and private interests will be impacted. Let's start to THINK OF THE OPPORTUNITIES!
If you aren't already registered for the Coastal Cities Summit II www.coastalcities-ioi.org , May 1-3, in St. Pete, PLEASE JOIN US! Special pricing is available for single-day attendance, government and not-for-profits.
Major summit tracks include:
Coastal Cities Summit II: Sharing Solutions for Success
May 1-3, 2012
The Hilton Bayfront
St. Petersburg FL
PRICING: Government staff and non-profits 2-for-1 ($250/2) for 3-day registration.
***Click here to register for 2-for-1: https://serendipitousevents.wufoo.com/forms/florida-government-2-fo... .
***For more information about scholarships for volunteers and students, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org .
***Private industry registration at www.coastalcities-ioi.org .
Work-shops and presentations include:
May 1 - Tourism (Economy and Environment) & Transportation Program Tracks
May 2 - Insurance and Planning for Risk Program Tracks
- NEW Cost/Benefit Analysis Tool Improves Adaptation Decision Making - Dr. Sam Merrill, director of the New England Environmental Finance Center in Portland, Maine will present a new mapping tool which visualizes and compares costs and benefits of different adaptation scenarios to storm surge and sea level rise on a range of vulnerable assets down to the parcel level (e.g., real estate, infrastructure), and when a particular strategy makes sense to deploy. Merrill spoke at the Federal Transit Agency climate change workshop on March 22, 2012.
- Florida Department of Economic Opportunity – Julie Dennis announces the new 5-year Community Resiliency Initiative to work with local governments to integrate sea level rise adaptation into current planning mechanisms including the local comp plan, local hazard mitigation plan and post-disaster redevelopment plan, per statutes.
- Insurance and Government Adaptation Planning - Directors from City of New York and Broward County, and executives from Lloyd’s America, Inc., Citizens Property, and Insurance Information Institute discuss current models and trends, impact of adaptation planning on insurance risk, new insurance adaptation tools, and impact on Florida cities, infrastructure and major property owners.
May 3 - Valuing Public Spaces Program Track
- One Bay: Creating a Regional Vision: Legos to Legacy with Avera Wynne, Tampa Bay Regional Planning Council, Elisa Degregorio, Tampa Bay Partnership, Holly Greening, Tampa Bay Estuary Program and moderator James A. Moore, HDR, Inc. Chair, ULI. Get updated on progress and share your perspectives about the region's needs and opportunities!
- Creating Value with Public Spaces -- 90-minute workshop with overview by USF Assistant Professor Shannon Bassett and Dennis Jerke, ASLA, co-author of ULI book: Urban Design and the Bottom Line will discuss how to generate greater value and calculate the economic, social/cultural, environmental and sensory value of green spaces, urban waterways, transportation centers etc. Jerke provides real numbers and lessons from his experience on 300+ significant land development and public projects. Dennis shows how to comprehensively define the benefits and impacts of good, pre-investment design upon the community, businesses, city officials and the developer.
- Smart Growth: Using Local Policy and Incentives to Stimulate Economic Health, Steve Tindale, Tindale Oliver & Associates and Nick Casalanguida, Deputy Administrator for Collier County discuss how land use, mobility, economic policies and incentives can be used to enhance community health and the environment, reduce public infrastructure costs, and stimulate the tax base for local governments.
Hosted by the University of South Florida, the City of St. Petersburg and the International Ocean Institute-USA.
CEU's: CLE's and CM pending.
Contact Information: International Ocean Institute - USA, University of South Florida, 140 7th Ave South, St. Petersburg, FL 33701, USA email@example.com | website: www.ioiusa.net | phone: +1 708-205-3911 - fax: +1 727-553-1189